Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Julie and Julia


Last weekend my husband and I watched "Julie and Julia".


It was delightfully entertaining, funny, sad, and heartwarming. A great feel good movie.


If you've been under a rock the last year, this Oscar nominated film is "Julia Child's story of her start in the cooking profession ... intertwined with blogger Julie Powell's 2002 challenge to cook all the recipes in Child's first book."


And she did. Over 500 different recipes.


Tonight I Googled Julie Powell. I found her original blog entry, just like it was featured in the movie. I read some of the over 800 comments to her blog entries, many of which came from newspaper editors and publishers in 2003 after an article about Julie appeared in the New York Times.


And I Googled Julia Child. She was a tall lady, all 6 ft. 2 inches of her. I also learned that during WWII, prior to beginning her French cooking escapades, she was a spy with the Office of Strategic Services, a huge spy network created by FDR, and a forerunner to the CIA.


So back to Julie Powell. At her husband's suggestion, she decided to spend a year blogging about the recipes in Julia Child's cookbook "Mastering the Art of French Cooking".


And it made me wonder if - I tackled a similar project - what or who would I write about??


I think it would be Martha. Martha Stewart.


Many people often call me Martha. Not that I look like her or talk like her. Or even live in a house like her. But maybe because I take the extra effort to make events special, just like Martha would.


So what do you think? 365 days of Martha? So many books - which would I choose? Maybe something from all the books?


I'm going to give this some more thought.


In the meantime, Martha - are you listening? What do you think??

No comments:

Post a Comment